Why Where I Live is Better Than Where You Live...

...for a freshwater Mermaid. I live in Lake County, smack dab in the middle of Florida. They call it Lake County for a reason, from the sky you can see there is more water than land. To get anywhere by car you have to drive around, over, or through a body of water (I don't recommend the latter). Lucky for me I have a kayak and friends with boats. And of course I swim.

To visit my salty sisters I can reach either coast in just over an hour. If I really must go to the Happiest Place on Earth I can get there in less than an hour (EPCOT is my favorite). For free entertainment, cheap drinks, and shenanigans The Villages is 45 minutes north. But I am most grateful for being just a half-hour drive away from the Ocala National Forest.

As a kid I camped with my family in the forest frequently and as an adult I swam in the many lakes, springs, and rivers. Wildlife in the forest is abundant, you will most surely encounter black bear, deer, and alligators but might glimpse a bobcat, manatee, or rattlesnake (so be careful if you're a hiker!). And I don't want to leave out my many aquatic turtle and bird friends.

Even closer to my Mermaid lair is Lake Dora, the world-famous Dora Canal, and the Harris Chain of Lakes. Gosh, there really are so many fantastic places nearby, why am I typing away? I must go swim! Thank you for reading my blog and please stay tuned for future posts about my secret and not-so-secret favorite destinations in  Central Florida.

Just keep swimming!

 Lake County, Florida


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unchecking Boxes

The Thing About Grief

8 Haunted Places in Central Florida You Didn't Know About!