American Apathy from a Peon POV

I proofread legal transcripts for a living. I read depositions, trials, meetings, and presuit examinations. I freelance for 15 court reporters, the majority in the Central Florida area. The depositions often have an interpreter present, and the cases involve Haitians staging car accidents or illegal Mexicans who get injured on the job at Disney.

Before this job I never knew that people actually make a career out of suing people. The claimant who falls down in Publix often has previous suits under their belt: A fender-bender where they suffered whiplash, several workers' comp injuries, maybe an EEOC complaint for age/race/sex (pick one) discrimination. And then there are the second- and third-generation welfare queens who truly believe their Social Security disability, Section 8 housing, and food stamps are an entitlement. In one example a young mother of several children (all by different fathers) was asked if she received child support for any of her children. She answered yes. Upon further examination it came out that she received nothing from her babies' daddies, she received a welfare check from the government each month for each of her children. In her mind that was child support.

It's hard to blame the illegals, the welfare queens, and the career claimants. We, the people, make it so easy for them. An illegal can receive free health care, food stamps, and a place to live. I can't; I have to work to survive and pay taxes to support the above mentioned. The justice system is flawed. I believe anyone filing a suit should be prepared to pay the other side's legal fees in the event they lose. I believe any illegal trying to file suit should be immediately deported. I believe anyone caught defrauding an insurance company should go straight to jail. I believe if you want to file suit in the United States of America you must speak English.

I blame the lawyers and feel sorry for the judges. If the lawyers would stop taking on ridiculous lawsuits our court systems wouldn't be so clogged and lowlifes would stop filing frivolous suits. Judges are afraid to utilize their common sense and throw these cases out because they will likely be turned over on appeal.

I'm just one little person who reads an average of 500 pages of this stuff per day. I only see the tiniest tip of the iceberg. I am astounded at the corruption, criminal activity, and government waste going on in this country. The American people are apathetic and ignorant. They don't want to know where their tax dollars are going. They don't care that doctors are quitting because frivolous lawsuits have sent their medical malpractice premiums into the stratosphere. They don't want to know that the person mowing their lawn is in this country illegally and won't be paying taxes on the cash they give him. They seem ambivalent that the Social Security well has run dry because all the money is going to illegitimate children and people who can't work because they are overweight or have drug addictions.

Disclaimer: I know this will be an unpopular post and I may be called prejudiced or even heartless. I am not; I know there are legitimate reasons for lawsuits and I know there are people and children who really need help. (More coming on this in another post.) I know the only way to change the direction our country is heading is by educating ourselves on the issues. Pay attention to your local politicians and start there. Voting is the only power we have to save our country.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unchecking Boxes

The Thing About Grief

8 Haunted Places in Central Florida You Didn't Know About!